With the rise of new materials and countless options on the market, there is one question that interests many homeowners: “Are wood kitchen cabinets coming back in style?”. For now, the short answer is “Yes, they are!”. However, in this blog post we’ll try to answer it in greater detail as well as discover types of wood kitchen cabinets and much more.
What Type of Wood Cabinets Are in Style?
Wood is one of the oldest materials for crafting. No wonder wooden furniture is so popular even these days. It makes your home look cozy and warm, like in good old days. And this is only one benefit amongst plenty of others that we’ll get into later.
So, wood is a timeless classic that is currently enjoying a renaissance.
The most common types of wood cabinets in style include oak, cherry, maple, alder, birch, hickory or even chipboard wood kitchen cabinets.
Wood cabinets keep it going on for so long because they can easily pair with literally anything. No matter what style you choose, dark or honey wood kitchen cabinets will only make it better.
Types of Wood Used to Make Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Now we offer to take a closer look at each type of wood used to make kitchen cabinets. We won’t touch upon chipboard wood cabinets since it is the cheapest option possible, plus you can make it look like any type of wood. We’ll better draw your attention to luxurious oak kitchen cabinets first.
Oak Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Oak is a type of hardwood renowned for its strength and sturdiness. It’s also a popular choice for kitchen cabinets, due to its beautiful grain pattern and ease of maintenance. When it comes to selecting kitchen cabinets made from oak, there are two options available:
- Red Oak Cabinets: Red oak is a more common option, as it’s more affordable and easier to work with. It’s characterized by beautiful, straight and curved grain patterns, which can be further enhanced with a stain or paint finish. Even when painted, red oak cabinets still reveal the grain beneath the wood.
- White Oak Cabinets: White oak is more expensive than red oak, but it’s also more durable and has a greater resistance to rot and insect infestation. Its subtle grain pattern gives white oak cabinets a sleek, modern look.
Both options would give you that exact pleasant smell of fresh wood. Many people think that wood absorbs odors well and this is partially true. If oak was correctly polished and painted with special paint, it will be easy to clean and always smell great.
Cherry Wood Kitchen Cabinets
If you’re on the look out for hard-wearing and beautiful kitchen cabinets, look no further than cherry wood. This strong and durable type of wood is known for its unique grain pattern, with small, reddish-brown to blond streaks running through it. When stained, cherry cabinets take on a deep, rich color that adds sophistication to any kitchen space.
Cherry cabinets are especially gorgeous in kitchens with white or cream walls, providing just the right amount of pop and color. Of course, like all hardwoods, cherry wood is susceptible to scratches and dents, but you can keep your cherry wood kitchen cabinets looking good and extend their life by dusting them regularly with a soft cloth and avoiding harsh cleaners.
Cherry wood cabinets offer the perfect balance of strength and beauty, and with proper care, are sure to last for years to come.
Maple Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Maple wood kitchen cabinets offer numerous benefits that make them an ideal choice for any home or office. Here are some of the key advantages of maple wood cabinets:
- Durability: Maple is one of the strongest, most durable hardwoods, making it an ideal choice for kitchen cabinets. Its strength and close grain pattern gives it a smooth texture and makes it perfect for painting or staining. Maple is THAT sturdy that it’s even used for dance floors and bowling alley lanes!
- Aesthetic Appeal: Maple cabinets come in a variety of grain styles: Tiger, Flame and Birdseye to name a few, giving you plenty of options to choose from. For a classic look, go with natural maple cabinets. For a more modern vibe, try white or gray-stained Maple cabinets. Whether you’re searching for a classic look or something more modern, maple cabinets are sure to make a statement.
Overall, maple wood kitchen cabinets are an excellent choice for those who want wood kitchen cabinets but don’t know what type to choose. Thanks to their strength, beauty, and easy maintenance, they are sure to last for years to come and leave you satisfied.
Alder Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Alder wood is a superb choice when it comes to varnishing, boasting excellent surface treatment that will enhance its look. With a medium bending strength of 9,800 psi (67,568.62 kPa), alder wood is an ideal material for kitchen cabinets and other furniture that require a great deal of bending to fit into tight spaces.
Aesthetics are especially important when picking out kitchen cabinets, and with alder wood you get the best of both worlds: a subtle grain pattern that can be enhanced with staining or painting, or left in its natural state for a rustic, weathered look that perfectly complements any design.
Birch Kitchen Cabinets
If you’re looking for high-quality yet not pricey kitchen cabinets made in Canada, birch is your go-to option. It’s a versatile, light-coloured wood that is moderately priced, making it a great choice if you’re on a budget. Plus, you can stain or paint it to match your décor, or use it to create a two-tone look in your kitchen.
Birch cabinets are ideal if you’re looking to brighten up your kitchen or bathroom, or if you want to give them a clean, contemporary look. It takes finishes well, so you can experiment with different colors and stains to get the perfect look.
Hickory Kitchen Cabinets
Hickory is an incredibly strong, heavy, and shock-resistant wood, making it an ideal choice for cabinetry that will see a lot of use. From pantry cabinets and kitchen island cabinets to bathroom vanities, hickory is an ideal choice for custom-made furniture. Its versatile tones, ranging from pale cream to reddish brown, make it an excellent choice for both light and dark-colored cabinets.
However, hickory is quite challenging to work with due to its strength. For this reason, it’s best left to experienced cabinetmakers.
When it comes to selecting wood cabinets, as we have seen there are numerous types to choose from. With each type of wood offering its own unique grain pattern, color, and price, it’s important to pick an option that fits your budget and compliments the overall look of your house.
Canada-based cabinet makers are well-versed in working with hickory and other types of wood, so if you’re looking for high-quality kitchen furniture, be sure to go with an experienced, trusted, and reliable firm. This way, you’ll get the best results without having to worry about costly mistakes or shoddy workmanship.
Reasons Wood Cabinets Are Making a Comeback
People want to make their lives better, and wood cabinets can do just that. Not only are they stylish, but they’re also highly functional. Here are some reasons why wood cabinets are becoming popular again:
- They’re more durable: Wood cabinets are tougher than laminate or particle board, and types such as hickory and oak are designed to stand up to regular use in high-traffic areas.
- They’re easy to clean: Just a quick wipe with a damp cloth and your wood cabinets will be good as new.
- More storage: Outfitting wood cabinets with shelves and drawers is a breeze, which makes them great for those who need a lot of extra storage space.
- Eco-friendly: Wood cabinets are a more sustainable choice than their plastic or metal counterparts. Plus, they can be recycled at the end of their lifecycle.
All-in-all, wood cabinets are a great choice for any kitchen regardless the type of wood they are made of. We are sure that you can find the best option for you in our catalog or order it from our affiliates.
Why Your Kitchen Cabinets May Be Sticky After Cleaning?
Have you ever noticed that your kitchen cabinets get sticky after cleaning them? If so, you’re not alone. Sticky cabinets are a common problem, and it’s usually due to one of two things: either the cabinets were not adequately cleaned, or the cabinets were not protected with a sealant.
As we mentioned before, it is crucial not to use harsh chemicals on your wood cabinets since it can damage them or eliminate protective layers and leave them sticky. Here are some tips how to make your wood kitchen cabinets smooth again:
- Residue from the cleaning product may be left behind if you haven’t washed it properly. This can cause the surface to become sticky. To avoid this, make sure that you thoroughly clean the cabinets.
- All cabinets, regardless of material, should be sealed with a protective coating. This coating helps to prevent dirt, grease, and water from penetrating the surface and leaving it sticky. If you do not seal the cabinets, they are more likely to become sticky over time.
- Clean the cabinets regularly and always apply a protective sealant after cleaning to make future cleaning easier. Make sure to use an appropriate sealant for the material of your cabinets, and ensure that all surfaces are adequately covered.
- If your cabinets are still sticky, try washing them with a mild soap and warm water. If that doesn’t work, you may need to use a specialized cleaner designed for sticky cabinets. However, this should be used as a last resort, as it may damage the finish of your cabinets.
Sticky cabinets can be a nuisance, but they can be easily prevented. With proper maintenance, your cabinets should remain clean and non-sticky for many years.
Wood Kitchen Cabinet Trends in 2023
Wood kitchen cabinets have been a staple of kitchens for decades, and in 2023 they are making a big comeback in style again! Homeowners across the country are recognizing the many benefits of wood kitchen cabinets and are embracing their beauty, functionality, and versatility.
Wood is a timeless material that can be easily tailored to fit any kitchen. Homeowners can bend, stain, or paint wood cabinets to create a unique look that perfectly complements the rest of their kitchen. Plus, wood cabinets come in a variety of grain patterns, giving homeowners the ability to choose one that reflects their individual style.
One of the biggest trends in wood kitchen cabinets in 2023 is the inclusion of modern features. Homeowners are increasingly incorporating cutting-edge technology into their cabinets to give them a more advanced look. This includes things like touch-activated lighting, built-in charging stations, and even voice-activated controls. Additionally, many cabinetry manufacturers are offering customization options, such as built-in storage solutions, to make their cabinets even more tailored to their clients’ needs.
More and more homeowners are choosing to invest in high-quality, custom-made cabinets. Customization allows homeowners to get cabinets that perfectly fit their space and their style. Plus, custom-made cabinets are often more durable and longer lasting than pre-made ones.
Overall, wood kitchen cabinets remain a popular choice among homeowners in 2023 and, probably, more years to come. Modern features, sustainability, and customization are making them even more attractive. Wood is an ageless material that can easily be tailored to fit any kitchen and will last for decades.
Wood cabinets are making a comeback in style, and for good reason: they bring together beauty and functionality. Homeowners find them easier to work with due to their customizable nature — you can easily bend, stain, or paint wood cabinets to fit your kitchen.
What’s more, wood is a highly versatile material, with a range of grain patterns to choose from. Pick a pattern that complements your home or one that expresses your own style. We understand that a kitchen is more than just a place to cook – it’s a place to gather, laugh, and make memories. That’s why we strive to make sure your kitchen is the best it can be. We offer all-in-one service, so you can rest assured knowing you’re getting the best quality kitchen furniture available.